I haven’t always been one of those Realtors who is hot on new construction. The plain truth is that in a stronger Seattle real estate market new construction wasn’t always the best deal. In fact, Seattle buyers who insisted on new construction usually paid a premium for it. There simply was not much in the way of negotiation.
Good things about new construction:
- Wonderful big open floor plans
- New Everything – nothing to fix
- Maintenance up front is usually cheaper because all systems are new
- Wonderful features designed for how we live now – bigger bathrooms, etc.
- Builders are definitely starting to lean towards energy efficiency and Built Green aspects
Less Desirable points of new construction to some buyers:
- Bigger price tag (negotiable!!!!)
- Small Yard or no yard in most cases
- Inconsistent architecture when new construction is plopped down in the middle of somewhere
- Those funny retaining ponds
- Some cookie cutter designs at times – definitely not custom in most cases
There is a very different story in Seattle new construction and Seattle suburb new construction now. If you are a non contingent buyer (meaning the sale doesn’t depend on you selling your current home) then you are in a window of golden opportunity right now! You can negotiate on price, perks, upgrades, and bonuses – plus get your closing costs paid in most cases. In addition, I like to make sure my buyers get a refrigerator and sometimes a washer and dryer of their choice!
Seattle suburbs new construction areas that have some nice developments right now:
Lynnwood, Everett, Snohomish, Mountlake Terrace, Brier, Bothell, Redmond, Mill Creek Marysville, Lake Stevens, and Lake Forest Park
These are all in different price points – there are townhomes, too, but also larger homes. The developments I am touring have some nice features and are definitely worth a look if you are interested in Seattle suburbs new construction.
Courtney Cooper ….For all your Seattle Washington Real Estate Needs! Seattle Area Real Estate Agent: Broker and Realtor serving North King & South Snohomish County. Seattle Real Estate and Seattle Suburbs! Cooper Jacobs Real Estate Services: Experienced REALTOR with a background in accounting – I love my clients and work hard for them! Please call me if you are looking for a home or investment property (including short sales, preforeclosures, foreclosures, and REO properties) in Seattle (Ballard, Crown Hill, Phinney, Ravenna, Maple Leaf, Green Lake (Greenlake), Greenwood, Northgate, Lake City,University, Sand Point, Laurelhurst, Windermere, Fremont, Wallingford, Queen Anne, Westlake, Eastlake, Lake Union, Downtown, Madison Park), Shoreline, Edmonds, Brier, Lynnwood, Mountlake Terrace, Lake Forest Park, Bothell, Mill Creek, Everett, or other Seattle Suburbs!